Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:45:37 -0800
From:      Don Coleman <don@coleman.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>, Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk I/O problem in 4.3-BETA

The original legato prestoserve board (VME bus) was manufactured by

Micro Memory Inc,
9540 Vassar Ave
Chatsworth, CA 91311
818-998-0070

Our contact was Mose' Jadon.  The address and phone # are circa 1989.

Amazingly enough, a web search turns up http://www.micromemory.com,
and the old phone # is still valid.

The original board was called the MM6704c by Micro Memory.

A design firm we didn't pick wanted a bit under $100,000 for
a custom engineering design, plus about $1000 per board.

A PCI board is *much* smaller then a 9U VME board, and I'd
expect the boards to be a lot cheaper.

I think you'd want at least a couple weeks of backup, since if the
machine crashes due to a hardware failure, it may not come back
up soon, and the NVRAM is logically part of the disks...

The original Preserve had 3 NiCd batteries to backup its low power
static CMOS memory, good for about 6 months with no power (it also
had a built in charger).

don