Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 1997 12:53:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@sequence.Stanford.EDU>
To:        Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@tarkhil.dialup.aha.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wow... got sound.. but!

On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Alex Povolotsky wrote:

> In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.970131125520.18282B-100000@marmite.Stanford.EDU>, How
> ard Lew writes:
> >mpu0 at 0x330 irq 9 drq 0 on isa
> >mpu0: <MPU-401 MIDI Interface 0.0 >
>
> Hmm... maybe you can help me... mpu0 is a MIDI interface on board of SB, not
> standalone card, yes? How should I pick IRQ for it?
>
> Alex.

What I found is that depending on your sound card, you need to choose its
default settings.  That means if your card is a Sound Blaster 16 PNP, you
need to choose the defaults which are usually listed in the manual.  That
way, you can boot directly into FreeBSD, and everything sounds great.  I
don't really like the idea of starting Win95 and then starting FreeBSD to
listen to music.

The defaults for mine were irq 9 for mpu0, so I used that.  If your card
is PNP, you may be able to set it in the CMOS.  If you have one of the
newer Award Bioses, you can determine which irqs and dmas are for Legacy
ISA or PCI/ISA PNP.

----

 -------------------------------> WWW - http://www.shoppersnet.com/shopping