Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 19:09:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Cassata <jim@web-ex.com>
To:        Nino Tungul <ninot@everex.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password

<useful answer>
reboot from console (CTRL-ALT-DEL if you have to) and type -s when you get
the boot prompt.  This will bring you into single user mode, where you can
set the root passwd.
</useful answer>

<useless addition>
you would not have to re-install, the worst case
like this that I ever came across was on older linux boxes (1.0 kernels)
where you would boot to floppy and mount the root partition as something
else and edit the password file.11
</useless addition>

Jim Cassata

516.421.6000