Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 11:24:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        root@deadline.snafu.de (Andreas S. Wetzel)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tty-level buffer overflows - what to do?

> Hi!
> ---
>
> On a relatively fresh installed -current Box which serves as a modem
> server for two V34+ modems and one V34 Modem on our local LAN, I get
> lots of messages on the sysconsole when doing high-speed transfers:
>
> sio2: 1988 more tty-level buffer overflows (total 23215)
> etc...
>
> This especially happens when transferring pure ASCII data which gets
> quite good compressed by the two modems so that I actually transfer
> at bitrates of about 50kbit and higher.
>
> Can I do anything about that (i.e. increase memory on this machine) or is
> this a problem related to the sio driver?
>
> Thankful for any advice

What are you doing?  rz/sz?  What kind of machine is it?  (a 386sx/16 has
much less CPU than a P90..)  Are you using hardware flow control correctly?
What kind of drives?  IDE drives bite, particularly if they are being used
at the same time as the serial port... etc, etc.

"More data, please!"  :-)

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968