Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 07:42:44 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Daniel Keller <dkeller@psln.com>, pclarke@apnpc.com.au
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, pclarke@apnpc.com.au
Subject:   Re: A Newbie Question

Daniel Keller:
 |the same thing happened to me when I first installed FreeBSD. I am now
 |using OS-BS available in the tools directory at ftp.freebsd.com.
 |I have FreeBSD on the same HD as Win95, but I think it works if it's on a
 |different HD. when I boot I get a menu of Win95 or FreeBSD and it is set to
 |default after 15 seconds.
 |There are 2 files, a beta version and a normal version, I would suggest the
 |beta.

Yes, it works fine with '95 and FreeBSD on separate disks.  OS/BS Beta is a
really a great boot loader.

Main thing to plan for is that OS/BS Beta uses sectors 1-5 (not just sector
1, the MBR) of the first disk to store its loader.  If you always install a
DOS partition up front on your disks, you'll have no problem as DOS leaves
63 sectors free at the front of the disk.  If you're putting FreeBSD at the
front of your first disk, you'll want to make sure you do something similar
when you partition.  See:

         http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/multios/multios.html#s2-7-3-2

for details.

Randall Hopper