Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 20:14:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc* stuff

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, J Wunsch had to
walk into mine and say:

> As Bill Paul wrote:
>
> > - Even though we have rpc.lockd and rpc.statd in the tree now, there
> >   are no knobs for it in /etc/sysconfig or /etc/rc. Shouldn't we be
> >   be starting them if NFS is turned on?
>
> You mean, ``just to confuse the people''? :)
>
> Remember, they are no-ops still.

No, they aren't. rpc.statd is fully functional. rpc.lockd is halfway
functional. In either case, it doesn't hurt to have them on.

Besides: what motivation will people have to work on them if we
just let them sit there?

-Bill

 "If you're ever in trouble, go to the CTR. Ask for Bill. He will help you."