Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 01:12:58 +0100
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        brooks@one-eyed-alien.net
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Debian GNU/FreeBSD???

Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net> wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 12:51:49AM +0200, Mario Goebbels wrote:
>> I'm slightly offtopic with this, but what the heck is that:
>> http://www.debian.org/ports/freebsd/index
>> I was slightly irritated when a pal showed me that!
>
>It's Debian people being silly.  Someone decided they liked the FreeBSD
>kernel and the Debian way of doing userland and combined the two.  As
>you can see from the webpage, it's not exactly popular (the site hasn't
>been updated in four months.)

There are a couple of Debian/BSD efforts going on at the moment, one
based on FreeBSD and the other on NetBSD. There's only a couple of
people working on each of them, and the principal FreeBSD guy is
currently lacking development resources so not much progress is being
made there. Both groups are having trouble reconciling the different
functionality of glibc and BSD libc.

They're planning to make both a part of the next major release of
Debian, so it will be ported to N+3 kernels (Linux, Hurd, NetBSD,
FreeBSD). Given the effectiveness of their release engineering,
don't expect it to get anywhere near general usability for at
least a year, and probably getting on for two.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
HUMBER THAMES DOVER: SOUTH OR SOUTHEAST 3 OR 4, OCCASIONALLY 5 IN HUMBER,