Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 01:18:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jeffrey S. Sharp" <jss@subatomix.com>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, abial@webgiro.com, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, roger@cs.strath.ac.uk, small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Optimise for space -Os

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Chad R. Larson wrote:

> Would it be heresy to suggest that perhaps the base for PicoBSD
> might want to be 2.2-STABLE?  Or perhaps 3.5-STABLE?  It seems this
> thread is spending a lot of time pondering ways around bloat.

I don't think that would be a good idea, at least not for FreeBSD 4.x and
later.  It would be quite a hindrance to the new user; I can imagine him
getting his hot-off-the-press FreeBSD 5.2 CDs and getting quite pissed off
having to downgrade to a much earlier version to do embedded stuff.  If I
am told that FreeBSD makes a decent embedded OS, I would expect the latest
version to have that capability.

Then there's the whole issue of having old software and using new
software.  While its true that many small FreeBSD applications will use
only sio/lpt/ppi/basic-networking/etc that has been rock-solid since
prehistory, *someone* out there might very well want to use that cool new
feature/device which was added in version 5.2.  Denying that user the
possibility of making small FreeBSD work is IMHO not the Right Thing.

The stability issue is a double-edged sword; older versions are more
mature and tested, but newer versions are getting more attention by
bug finders/fixers or  might have different/better implementations of
stuff.

That's my US$0.02.

Jeffrey S. Sharp   (XorAxAx)
jss@subatomix.com