Date:      Fri, 05 Jun 2009 13:34:09 +0400
From:      Menshikov Konstantin <kostjn@peterhost.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Calculating per jail memory usage ...

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Menshikov Konstantin wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>> You can consider memory occupied with processes in jail as sum RSS of
>> these processes, but it is wrong.
>>
>> Processes divide memory among themselves, a segment of the text or
>> all memory (if not to do exec after fork).
>>
>> Now in a kernel there is no mechanism with which help it is possible
>> to count a memory size occupied with processes in jail.
>> After this mechanism will appear, it will be possible to add top :)
>>
>> There is a patch for restriction of resources jail,
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/Jails, CPU + RAM Limits for Current.
>
> Is this the ChrisJones patch that is labeled "Not fully working /
> stalled" you are referring to?
No, it is a patch written with zero.

> For 7.x, all we can really go back is RSS, from what I can tell ... it
> won't be until 8.x(?) that we will be able to get more accurate ... ?
> And even then, it will be a patch we have to add, not stuff that has
> been yet integrated into 8.x?
Yes, the kernel has no counters of memory for jail in 7 branch, also has
no system calls jail_get, jail_set, therefore on there is no place to
take the information.
In 8 branch are added jail_set, jail_get, it gives the chance to obtain
any data about jail.
I hope that after a while, after testing, the patch for restriction of
use of resources jail will be accepted. After that, reception of the
information on use of resources jail will be trivial.