Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2007 08:52:17 +0000
From:      "James Seward" <jamesoff@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pf and keep/modulate state on 6.2

On 2/25/07, J.D. Bronson <jbronson@wixb.com> wrote:
> I was noticing sporadic FTP transfers DOWN to my fbsd 6.2 machine
> over my DSL line...it would go/pause/go/pause - just a bit, but
> overall slowed the transfers down quite a bit.
>
> I looked at my pf.conf file and changed MODULATE state to KEEP state
> in all places and my issues went away....fast clean consistent downloads.

Wow, this fixed my FTP-over-DSL-to-6.2 problem too. With modulate
state, I was getting ~30K/sec. With just keep state, I'm now getting
more like what my connection is capable of. This is between two 6.2
hosts on opposite sides of the Atlantic.

Ted, I use pf because I like the format of the configuration file, I
like the logging and pftop, and like how it's harder to lock yourself
out of a remote machine by accident :)

/JMS