Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2001 01:03:19 -0800
From:      Gregory Carvalho <GregoryC@stcinc.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Bizarre disklabel result

To get disklabel to function with a Iomega Jax, I had to do the
following:

# disklabel -R -B /dev/rda2 diskproto
disklabel: Mar  4 23:01:22 funk /kernel: da2: cannot find label (no disk
label)
ioctl DIOCWLABEL: Operation not supported by device
Mar  4 23:01:22 funk /kernel: da2s4: cannot find label (no disk label)
# disklabel -R -r da2 diskproto
#

Now newfs functions properly.

I repeated the process several times by using dd to clear the Jaz disk.
If I didn't use the -R -B line before the -R -r line, the following
occurs:

# disklabel -R -r da2 diskproto
Mar  4 23:00:39 funk /kernel: da2: cannot find label (no disk label)
disklabel: No space left on device
Mar  4 23:00:39 funk /kernel: da2s4: cannot find label (no disk label)
#

With this, as I am sure you can imagine, newfs does not function. This
behaviour perplexes me, and I hope someone can point to the problem.

Please advise,
Greg