Date:      Thu, 8 May 2014 09:37:37 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Eygene Ryabinkin <rea@freebsd.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Allowing CARP to use arbitrary OUI prefix and allocating block from FreeBSD's OUI space assignment for that

On 08 May 2014, at 08:10 , Eygene Ryabinkin <rea@freebsd.org> wrote:

> As current CARP implementation somewhat hijacks OUI MAC space for VRRP
> (00:00:5e:00:01:$VRID) and this sometimes create problems, because
> routing people tend to be different from the ones that run CARP
> clusters, so their VRID/VHID can clash inside single L2 domain, and
> this often leads to breakages (because of same MAC values for the
> different clustered instances),

It often leads to a bit of logging about =93hey I don=92t know this =
=91version' of VRRP=94 (well yeah) on some $vendor devices who should =
know better by now.

Apart from that I thought the different version number was sufficient =
(as it is for other protocols, and so have others who actually started =
to write a draft for an independent submission early last year and =
stalled on it).   I am actually not in the loop on what we ended up with =
in 10 but I guess given the new CARP started to understand the old stuff =
glebius did not end up bumping it finally in FreeBSD?  So the problem =
might remain that we are on a conflicting =93VRRP/CARP version=94?

In addition you should, of course, use secrets with the VRRP/CARP as =
otherwise you deserve to have real clashes that do unexpected things to =
your deployment.

Just my -1cts
/bz

=97=20
Bjoern A. Zeeb             "Come on. Learn, goddamn it.", WarGames, 1983