Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2013 20:34:16 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: how to save a web video?

On Wed, 4 Dec 2013 19:35:17 -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> I'm wearing out, but the
> 	one thing I want to contribute before I hang up my  spurs--er,
> 	keyboard--is a non-GUI port that, after the user inputs, will
> 	go out and get webcasts in mp3, and store somewhere.  so the '
> 	user will have several audio file to listen to <<  whenever  >>.

This is something youtube-dl can do when the webcast is available
in a compatible format. After the download, ffmpeg or mencoder can
be used for the format conversion (if the original format isn't
already something like MP3).

If the source is already "only audio", you can use mplayer to
"watch" (i. e. download) it. Use the -dumpstream option to store
it on disk. Similarly, mencoder can be used, even converting the
media, if not MP3, to MP3 or OGG/Vorbis, or which format is
prefered.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany