Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:46:44 -0500
From:      "Stephen Schadt" <sschadt@openlinksw.com>
To:        "Brooks Davis" <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>, "Kingsley Idehen" <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Subject:   RE: network / configuration problems

Brooks,
Thanks for your response.  I have further information.  First, I did try
"make depend" successfully.  Then I ran the "make", and this produced:

ioconf.o(.data+0x6ec):
undefined reference to 'xldriver'
Error code 1

> It shouldn't be.  PCI devices are automagicaly probed and configured.
> Did you assign an IP address, etc. xl0 in sysinstall?  If not then it's
> not configured.  What does "ifconfig xl0" say?  Do you have any lines
> beginning with ifconfig_xl0 in your /etc/rc.conf and if so, what are
> they?

So I'm going to take your and Mike Tancsa's advice that I shoudn't need to
recompile the kernel.

This is what typing "ifconfig xl0" says:

myname# ifconfig xl0
xl0: flags=8843< UP, BROADCAST, RUNNING SIMPLEX, MULTICAST> mtu 1500
  inet <IP address> netmask 0xffffffc0 broadcast 38.233.242.191
  ether 00:10:5a:26:7e:37
  media 10BaseT/UTP <half-duplex> autoselect
  supported media: autoselect 100BaseTX <full-duplex> 100BaseTX
<half-duplex>

Since your message I went back into /stand/sysinstall and noticed that it
did write that information to "rc.conf" which didn't seem to be there
before:

ifconfig_xl0 inet <ip> netmask <netmask>
  network-interfaces "xl0 lo0"

I don't know why the "lo0" is in there...

Also, of interest may be that when I bootup, I notice the following line
when it's trying to load the interface / ethernet card:
   autoneg not complete, no carrier.  Forcing half-duplex

Any further ideas?

Thanks much,

Stephen