Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 2015 12:31:15 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        zep <zgreenfelder@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Terminal mirror, mirror terminal

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 05:55:04 -0500, zep wrote:
> you already seem to have your solution and it sounds to be a pretty
> 'thin' solution, but just to add on after - I would probably choose
> vnc and set/give a readonly password.

I would have used VNC if this specific setting required that
much "remote desktopping", but actually it doesn't. Usually
I tend to use "ssh -Y" (slow, but sufficiently secure) when
there's an urgent need to display X applications, and for
anything else, SSH CLI access will work. This is where "watch"
is a good solution: The user can see what I'm doing, and
with parallel phone explanation and comments, he can do
things the next time on his own.

In other settings, I'm using both classic X remote and VNC
already, it works quite well when kept inside LANs.

> it's notoriously insecure,
> so it'd also (probably) need a ssh tunnel to run through, but I
> still find it handy and it can do most anything an xsession can.

This special user is on a very slow Internet line, so I'm
interested in as few transmission overhead as possible. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany