Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2014 16:55:33 +0100
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org List" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 10.1 geom "diskid"

Now it's getting decidedly weird:

> Am 19.11.2014 um 16:40 schrieb Patrick M. Hausen <hausen@punkt.de>:
>=20
> Hi, all,
>=20
> next question, sorry. I just created a fresh 10.1 installation
> with ZFS. With the last reboot after adding dedicated SSD
> based l2arc and zil, the underlying devices are referred to
> by "diskid" instead of the GPT labels I have first been using:
>=20
> 	NAME                                STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
> 	zroot                               ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	  mirror-0                          ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    gpt/disk0                       ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    gpt/disk1                       ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	logs
> 	  diskid/DISK-BTTV334403R7200GGNp2  ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	cache
> 	  diskid/DISK-BTTV334403R7200GGNp1  ONLINE       0     0     0
>=20
> I can live with that, but I do not understand why the ada2 device
> changed from gpt/* to diskid/* while the others did not?
>=20
> /dev/gpt entries are not even present for ada2, neither are ada2p?
>=20
> At least the system could try to be consistent ;-)

gnop create -S 4096 /dev/diskid/DISK-BTTV334403R7200GGNp3
zpool create ssd /dev/diskid/DISK-BTTV334403R7200GGNp3.nop
zpool export ssd
gnop destroy /dev/diskid/DISK-BTTV334403R7200GGNp3.nop
zpool import ssd
zpool status

  pool: ssd
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	ssd         ONLINE       0     0     0
	  gpt/ssd   ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

WTF? Now it's referring to ada2p3 as gpt/ssd again. Of course the first =
2
partitions are still diskid/DISK-BTTV334403R7200GGNp1 and p2, since
I have not changed anything about the "zroot" pool.

OK, reboot ...

zpool status
	NAME                                STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	ssd                                 ONLINE       0     0     0
	  diskid/DISK-BTTV334403R7200GGNp3  ONLINE       0     0     0

Now all 3 partitions on the SSD are addressed by diskid. The two mirror
vdevs by GPT label, and, needless to say, the two components of my swap
gmirror by legacy devices:

root@seleniumhub:~ # gmirror status
       Name    Status  Components
mirror/swap  COMPLETE  ada0p2 (ACTIVE)
                       ada1p2 (ACTIVE)

Although I created the mirror using /dev/gpt/swap0 and swap1, of course =
;-)

Please do not consider this a major complaint. As long as everything =
works,
I'm perfectly happy. But I'd like to understand what is going on here.
All the recent Ubuntu installs I run refer to disks exclusively by UUID =
and here
we have three different kinds of devices in a single install. That =
*might*
scare away someone some time ...

Kind regards
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100
info@punkt.de       http://www.punkt.de
Gf: J=C3=BCrgen Egeling      AG Mannheim 108285