Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 1998 19:29:18 +1100
From:      "John Saunders" <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
To:        "Mike Smith" <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: New boot loader and alternate kernels

Mike Smith wrote:
> > FORTH does have a decent pedigree as a bootloader - Sun have been
> > using it for at least 6 years.  Most user interaction is covered
> > by "boot FILE FLAGS", "reset" and "sync" - you don't have to be
> > a FORTH guru to use it.
>
> That's my hope.  We also have enough manifest Forth talent to get us
> bootstrapped to that stage, so I don't view it as technically
> impossible.  The philosophical issues are still bugging me.

While not being a FORTH fan (horrible syntax :-) I can see that
it has very desirable attributes for a boot loader. If it can
provide a "boot kernel flags" style interface then who cares
if FORTH is behind it.

I also see things in the future like probing hardware and booting
custom kernels. Certainly a good tool for creating install
distributions.

It's good that the "philosophical issues" are bugging you. That
means that should FORTH get the go-ahead it will be on technical
merit rather than due to advocacy issues :-)

Cheers.
 ,--_|\  | John Saunders    mailto:John.Saunders@scitec.com.au   |
/  Oz  \ | SCITEC LIMITED   Phone +61294289563  Fax +61294289933 |
\_,--\_/ | "By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends." |