Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:08:17 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Dominik Zalewski <dzalewski@open-craft.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: slapd - slow starting

--nextPart1629173.cVAEPnIWHk

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 15:49, Doug Barton wrote:
> This is bad advice for 2 reasons. First, the OP stated that he's using
> 6.1-Stable, which already has the local_startup changes merged, so all
> proper rc.d scripts will be run in the same rcorder, whether they are in
> the base (/etc/rc.d) or installed in either /usr/local or
> /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d.

Ahh I see.. Hopefully it did no harm.

> Second, this is bad blanket advice to offer without knowing more about the
> situation, as even if it "works," at best it will camouflage the real
> problem. In this case, it would not have solved the actual problem anyway=
s.

Yeah, I had to do this for 6.0 and hadn't reverted it for 6.1.. It took me =
a=20
fair amount of frustration to figure out why, when I updated my system slap=
d=20
was hanging on startup and I didn't go back and verify what was actually=20
needed to fix it.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum