Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:01:06 -0700
From:      James Harrison <jamesh@lanl.gov>
To:        Laszlo Nagy <gandalf@shopzeus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount -u -o rw /     not working on NFS?

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 18:33 +0100, Laszlo Nagy wrote:
>   Hi All,
>
> I have a system where a diskless FreeBSD 6.3 i386 machine boots with pxeboot from a FreeBSD 6.3 amd64 machine. I have lines in /etc/fstab for the diskless machine like:
>
> # Device        MountPoint      FsType  Options Dump    Pass
> 172.16.0.1:/usr /usr    nfs     rw      0       0
> 172.16.0.1:/mnt/d2/rootfs/root  /root   nfs     rw      0       0
>
> The machine boots from network nicely, then I can login as root and invoke these commands:
>
> mount -u -o rw /
> mount -u -o rw /usr
> mount -u -o rw /root
>
> There is no error message on the console, nor in the system log. However, this happens afterwards:
>
> diskless101#mkdir /aaa
> mkdir aaa: Read-only file system
>
> Question: if the remount did not succeed, why didn't it throw an error? If succeeded, why can't I write on the filesystem?
>
> Thanks,
>
>    Laszlo

The answer to the second portion is that you're mounted as a read only
file system, so there's no write access.

There's an nfs permissions file you may need to edit, /etc/exports/,
which controls whether NFS shares the file system as read only, read
write, whether root can have root on the file system etc.

James