Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 18:19:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@fledge.watson.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File Table full

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Doug White wrote:

> > Yesterday afternoon, I got this kernerl message/etc in my messages:
> >
> > Apr 21 12:08:56 fledge syslogd: /dev/console: Too many open files in
> > system: Too
> >  many open files in system
> > Apr 21 12:08:56 fledge /kernel: file: table is full
> > Apr 21 12:09:18 fledge last message repeated 3 times
> > Apr 21 12:10:31 fledge last message repeated 3 times
> > Apr 21 12:16:55 fledge su: robert to root on /dev/ttyp2
> >
> > I currently have maxusers=128 in my kernel config -- can I explicitely
> > increase file handles on the system, or should I just increase maxusers?
> > Does maxusers change the file descriptor table size?
>
> Not really.  You want to probably tweak CHILD_MAX and OPEN_MAX.

I was unsure if this was a user hitting a by-uid limit on files, or if the
actual system table for all file descriptors was being hit?  Is there any
way to find out a) if it was a specific user or the system, and b) if it
was a specific user, who it was so I could find out what program ran into
the problem?

Thanks,
Robert Watson