Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 14:17:01 -0700
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cool little 100BaseTX switch - they're coming down in price

    Matthew> :At work I've got experience with 32-port D-Link 10/100
    Matthew> switched :hub. It works fine except that it hangs
    Matthew> occasionally (can be :reset by power-cycling). So we
    Matthew> don't buy them any more. Also :at my pre-previous
    Matthew> employer we had small 8-port 10Mpbs hubs from :D-Link and
    Matthew> they had the same problem, so it seems to be a family
    Matthew> :problem. With about 20 hubs there was a hang
    Matthew> approximately every :other day.  : :-SB

    Matthew>     Oh joy.  Well, we'll see what happens with this one.

As a counter-point, we have five D-Link 24 port hubs with the
10/100 switch module, SNMP, and a fibre link between the two stacks.
They've been running for a year (almost to the day) and we haven't
ever seen one lock up.

The DFE-530TX's have been giving me good throughput, although they
usually fail to autosense a 10 Mb/s network correctly.

And FWIW, I just picked up a D-Link DSH II eight port 10/100 hub
yesterday. It has a switch between the 10/100 segments, which means
I can now get my PAO-based laptop on the network at home (@10 Mb/s).
It ran me CAN$249 retail at the corner computer store. (That's about
USD$160.)

--lyndon