Date:      17 Jun 2001 02:50:09 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        "Brad Knowles" <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, "Rahul Siddharthan" <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mundie, Perens, GPL, BSD etc again

"Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com> writes:
> This just proves my point.  With the new-bug, now your saying that
> VW didn't even _bother_ to design a new vehicle, they just slapped
> different fiberglass on the top of a chassis they were already
> grinding out.

It's been something like thirty or forty years since car manufacturers
stopped building cars with separate body and chassis, except for some
high-end roadsters, so no, they didn't "just slap different fiberglass
on top of a chassis they were already grinding out".  What they
probably did (I don't know much about Volkswagens, and even less about
the new-bug, so I'm guessing) was build a tried-and-true engine,
transmission and suspension into a new body, which was probably
designed with the same basic layout and dimensions as the Golf to
reduce development and production costs.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org