Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 20:07:39 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Koga Youichirou <y-koga@ccs.mt.nec.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Japanese FAQ pages are broken

On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 08:33:49PM +0900, Koga Youichirou wrote:
> I found that Japanese FAQ pages are broken

Fixed, I *think*.  I don't follow the encoding issue completely, so I
may have misunderstood the nature of the problem.  However, the FAQ
now appears in what looks like Japanese characters in my browser, and,
more importantly, has the correct

    "text/html; charset=EUC-JP">

at the top.  However,

> (other Japanese pages,
> e.g. handbook, are not broken).

That concerns me.  From my quick analysis of the problem, the Japanese
Handbook should be broken in exactly the same way as the FAQ is, and
I'm just about to commit the same fix and drop an updated version of the
FAQ in place.

I'm going to get this fixed first, then put together a longer message
to -doc and doc-jp outlining what I think the problem is, and how I
fixed it.

I'll deal with the other issues after that.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>