Date:      Mon, 01 May 2000 20:31:19 -0400
From:      Art <a.cheung2@sympatico.ca>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   hostname problem

Hi,

I am checking the handbook but I couldn't find a page describing how to
name my machine. It become visable that I need a hostname for my
machine when I use MySql.

The Problem:

I just download and install MySql and try to learn some SQL programming.

I run into problem when I try to run MySql. It needs a hostname. I type
"hostname -s" and findout that I have no hostname. So I give a
dummy(localhost) hostname to my machine. And finally the mysqld run.
(... I ran into other mysql problems afterward which are unappropriate
to talk about here) .

Now the real problem starts. I try to run Xemacs or Eterm. but Xlib does

not allow me to pop up an X-based application because I give my machine
a dummy hostname. I change the "DISPLAY=:0.0" to DISPLAY=localhost:0.0"
but it does not work still. I change the hostname back to nothing using
"hostname -s " "" and it still does not work.

I figure out that I need a real hostname. Please tell me where to find
info on give my machine a real hostname. I checked the handbook but I
find none.

Yours sincerely,

Arthur (newbie)