Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 18:21:35 +1000
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   "style" question

I'm looking at cleaning up a few compile nits and I'm wondering what the
officially approved way of silencing "may not be used" warnings:

int
foo(int flag)
{
        int j;

        if (flag)
                j = 1;

        /*
         * This noop statement is enough to confuse the optimiser so it
         * forgets that j is initialised iff flag != 0
         */
        flag = !!flag;

        if (flag)
                return j;
        return 0;
}

Us humans can see that j is not used without being set, but cc can't. How do I
remove this warning in a style(9)-compatible way?