Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 21:47:13 GMT
From:      mouth@ibm.net (John Kelly)
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Status of 650 UART support

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997 03:10:02 -0800 (PST), Bruce Evans
<bde@zeta.org.au> wrote:

> > /kernel: sio2: 40 more interrupt-level buffer overflows (total 828)
>
> This message is unusual.  It means that the system is overloaded with
> interrupt processing.  Apparently the modem can keep up without input
> flow control (into it), but FreeBSD can't.

I'm getting that "interrupt-level buffer overflow" message when I use
the 650 UART support.  As long as I run the UARTs in 550 compatibility
mode, they work fine.  My kernel is 3.0-971108-SNAP.

I've looked at the source in sio.c and I see where the 650 auto
CTS/RTS flow control is turned on, but I've made little other progress
towards comprehending sio.c

>static  char const * const      error_desc[] = {.
>       "silo overflow",
>       "interrupt-level buffer overflow",
>       "tty-level buffer overflow",
>};

Can anyone explain the difference between these three types of
overflows?

John