Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:59:41 -0600
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Doing an install with the aac driver

From: "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>

> No. Use a 4.2-STABLE snapshot install disk set.  Then once you've
> installed, but before you reboot, you need to build a kernel with the
> driver brought back (or you can build/install a KLD).

Hmm, that didn't work. The 4.2-STABLE snapshot dated 10-Jan-2001 didn't have
the driver as part of its kernel -- apparently the mfc of this driver
neglected to do that as well as neglected to include the MAKEDEV bits for it
as well.

Building a new kernel on a newly CVSUP'd 4.2-STABLE machine and using the it
to replace the kernel on a 4.2-RELEASE floppy does get the card recognized,
but that's only because sysinstall doesn't know how to make the correct
device.  Putting a 'new' systinstall on the mfsroot disk didn't seem to work
for me (the /stand directory on mfsroot looks queer...).

If I manually made the /dev entries on the mfsroot disk for aacd, would that
get me any further?