Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 21:57:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        "Jason Morrow" <gribnif@inconnect.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   newbie questions

Jason Morrow writes:
 > all replies to gribnif@inconnect.com

As a general note, questions about basic use of FreeBSD should be
directed to questions@freebsd.org, *not* to the stable mailing list.

 > Also, when trying to run X, it says "make sure that X is in your path
 > or try the -- option."  I tried the '--' option and it's in my path.  It
 > sill does not work.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Try running 'startx' or 'xinit'.  Either one will help you greatly, and
will give you a default environment that is more workable than just
running the X server.  If X works reliably when running either startx or
xinit, you should consider using the X Display Manager, or xdm.