Date:      Fri, 2 Dec 2005 17:55:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash@ocis.net>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to get support (was: Tyan alternatives cuz their support  totally sucks)

> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 01:30:10PM -0700, Ken Gunderson wrote:

We've had great experiences with MSI Master-series motherboards (K7D
and K8).  All of our elementary school servers are running the K7D
dual-AthlonMP boards, a few of our early rackmounts are running K8
dual-Opteron boards.

All our new systems, though, are Tyan dual-Opteron boards.

>>> Have your VP visit one of Tyan's VPs and wave a million dollar PO
>>> in their face.

>> Unfortunately that's about the reality of it...

>> I will say in Tyan's defense that things improved significantly
>> once I gave up on support and started working my way up the sales
>> management ladder.  Keeping future sales seems to motivate them
>> enough to get things done.

> I think this is one of those cases when it's much better do deal with
> them through a good reseller.  The reseller has much better leverage
> then most customers since they buy a lot more boards.  You still
> have to make the reseller care, but I'm had pretty good luck with that
> myself (of course, I often buy half a rack or more machines at a time
> which tends to hold their attention. :)

That's the way to do it.  We have a local computer company that
handles all our hardware needs.  We buy in bulk from them, if anything
goes wrong they look after it.  If it needs to go back to the
manufacturer/vendor then they get replacements for us up front and
handle all the dirty work behind the scenes.  We never have to worry
about contacting Tyan, or MSI, or Maxtor, or anybody.  :)

--
Freddie Cash, CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73             (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]