Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:04:01 -0700
From:      Mark Peek <mark@whistle.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cross builds and upgrade path from 4.x are broken in usr.bin/file

At 7:14 PM +0300 8/10/01, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 08:38:21AM -0700, Mark Peek wrote:
>  > At 5:37 PM +0300 8/10/01, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>  > I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "cross-platform"
>>  installworld. Do you mean "build on a HOST platform and install on
>>  TARGET", or "build on a HOST, install on HOST but using a TARGET
>>  disk"?
>>
>I meant the latter here.

Has this ever worked? Is it really a goal of the project to have it
work? If it is, then there's more work to be done than just "file".
What about the timezone files and perl? Both of these run during the
install phase. If this is really a goal, then you should redesign the
process and not put more and more tools into the "build tools"
category to work around these problems.

>  > I believe the only scenario that is supportable is the former
>>  and you should always run installworld on the TARGET platform.
>>
>Why?  Both should be supported, but the latter is only possible
>if we don't "build" anything at "install" time, as with my patch.
>My solution works in both cases.

Your solution does not work. You're creating binary files in HOST
format during the build phase and expecting things such as alignment
and endianness to be the same as the TARGET format. Unless the tools
are built to output for either the appropriate architecture or in a
portable, binary format, you will have problems reading the file on
the TARGET platform. It probably works for you since you're doing a
4.X->5.0 upgrade on the same platform.

Ruslan, it's clear that you have a different goal in mind for cross
platform builds and want to run installworld on the HOST system. The
simple fact is that this does not work today, does not work with my
patch and will continue to not work with your patch. My patch will at
least allow the files to be created in the correct format and allow
for cross platform HOST builds and TARGET installs.

>"Mark's patch doesn't work quite right." - ru

I'll be nice and assume you forgot a :-) on that comment. My patch
works with the current build structure. It just doesn't work for your
intended use.

Mark