Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 09:25:15 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk 1.1 (and 1.2) install problems on 4.1.1-RELEASE

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 12:08:42AM +1100, jesse reynolds wrote:
> I'm having awful problems trying to get any sort of java functioning
> on FreeBSD. I've tried the native freebsd jdk 1.2 beta, and linux 1.2
> jdk, neither of which work for me, they don't compile basically.

The Linux JDK doesn't compile because its distributed as a binary, i.e. you
don't need to compile it.  It does require Linux compatibility to be turned
on though...

> So i thought I should try something more pedestrian. I'd be happy to
> just have a v1.1 jdk running, so I've been trying to get jdk1.1.8
> running, to no avail.
>
> I'm trying to install jdk1.1.8 from the ports collection. To be sure,
> I downloaded a fresh tar file of the port (/usr/ports/java/jdk) and
> ran this. As I had tried installing it a few other times, this is a
> 'make reinstall'...
>
> bash-2.04# make reinstall
> ===>  Installing for jdk-1.1.8
> ===>   jdk-1.1.8 depends on executable: javavm - found
> /bin/mkdir -p /usr/local/jdk1.1.8
> (cd /usr/ports/java/jdk/work/jdk1.1.8 && /usr/bin/tar -c -f - .)  |
> (cd /usr/local/jdk1.1.8 && /usr/bin/tar --unlink -x -f -)
> /bin/mkdir -p /usr/local/share/java/classes
> /bin/mkdir -p /usr/local/share/doc/java
> ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> ** Missing package files for jdk-1.1.8.
> *** Error code 1

Check that you have an up to date ports tree.

> I've also tried downloading the whole jdk from www.freebsd.org/java
> and putting it in /usr/local/jdk1.1.8 but it complains that some
> version 3 library files are not around. I've tried making sym links
> from these to their version 4 equivalents, but then when i try to run
> anything with java i get segmentation violations and java core dumps.
>
> Perhaps 1.1.8 just won't run on 4.X freebsd???

It will, but you need the compat3x package installed (i.e. the JDK 3.x
compatbility libraries)

					- Greg