Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 16:00:13 -0700
From:      Michael Bryan <fbsd-security@ursine.com>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/pine4 Makefile (fwd)

"Crist J . Clark" wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 11:43:20PM +0200, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
> > Still, I think the default should be "insecure" install, since most
> > machines are firewalled.
>
> [...]
>
> I guess I am one of the few that thinks we should default off for the
> good of the newbie user, rather than save the newbie 5 minutes of RTFM
> to turn on telnet and ftp. Just everyone hope no exploit like the
> recent SGI telnetd bug is ever found hiding in FreeBSD's telnetd.

I agree, mainly for the reasons you state --- the newbies that are most
likely to install with defaults and no tweaking are often those who are
running in environments where they need the most protection.  The default
install should be all services off, with an easy means to enable them
explicitly during and after an install.