Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 1999 22:03:15 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: psm0 on laptops.

At 11:32 AM 1/6/99 +0900, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:

>>On 05-Jan-99 Nate Williams wrote:
>>>  Not that I'm aware of.  If you have it plugged in to the PS/2 port, you
>>>  *can* switch to the serial version after bootup by physically switching
>>>  it and re-configured X to use the serial port version.
>>Use moused and tell X to use sysmouse, thats why its there.
>>Then X gets events from both mice :)
>>
>>>  The reason it works under Windblows is because the mouse driver is a
>>>  necessary part of the OS, and under FreeBSD it's just another device so
>>>  the OS/userland stuff isn't integrated like under Windows.  (Which also
>>>  explains why unix is generally more robust, since not everything is
>>>  integrated together with the OS...)
>>Its still a pitty you can't tell the psm driver to reprobe the mouse...
>
>The psm driver can be instructed to reprobe the mouse after the system
>is "resumed."  See the PSM_RESETAFTERSUSPEND in the man page for
>psm(4).
>
>But, the psm driver does not currently support PS/2 mouse reprobe
>while the system is up, because it is understood that the PS/2 mouse
>port in general is not meant for "hot plugging."

I agree with that.. Because any of my desktop machines here the PS/2 port
is handled by the BIOS.  And the BIOS determines Keyboard/Mouse probing
before bootstrap.  That's what I've found anyway.

My Acer laptop treats the trackpad as a separate PS/2 device if I recall..
You can actually use the mouse and the trackpad at the same time as well..
or FN+T disables the trackpad..  I think the PS/2 bus is just like any
other bus, the devices are assigned an ID and then managed based on them.

Explains why you can get a splitter for the 'ps/2 port' on the back of
laptops too I guess.

Alright, so I'm assuming a bunch of crap.  The bottom line is the PS/2
ports don't like to be hot plugged, because the BIOS checks for the devices
upon bootup.  If you've ever seen a Packard Bell (amongst other machines)
it shows "keyboard detected, mouse detected' during the initial startup,
that determines if the computer has them or not right then and there...

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D