Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 16:35:21 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        kuehl@lgk.de, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, mellon@pobox.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux as a Mozilla total reference platform

At 11:40 PM 5/10/98 +0200, Lars Gerhard Kuehl wrote:

>What the product FreeBSD would need is:
>
>  I.    Advertisement. In particular advertisement by commercial
>        suppliers and supporters. It's much more persuading (and that's
>        what's needed) to say "I rely on selling FreeBSD" than on
>        "I rely on the product FreBSD". In Germany Suse and Delix
>        realise the most efficient Linux promotion. FreeBSD needs
>        the same. (I actually considered to found something like
>        "Fuse".)
>
>  II.   The support for FreeBSD needs an organisational frame with name.
>        "FreeBSD Competence Centres" or "FreeBSD Solution Providers"
>        were very helpful (for the product :).

This takes money. Right now, Walnut Creek is the only seller of FreeBSD
disks and hence the only profit-making venture from which much money
could come.

So, this begs the questions: Would Walnut Creek be willing to sell
CD-ROMs in bulk to a second vendor which might plow money back into
advertising? Or -- how much would it "rock the boat" if another
vendor began pressing CDs?

--Brett