Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:51:40 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freesd.org
Subject:   Re: Star & FreeBSD

Joerg Schilling wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Last night, I did convert star from a GPL tool into a CDDL
>tool. This now makes star compliant with the BSD philosophy.
>
>Is there a chance to have star integrated into FreeBSD?

Not to put down the work you have done, but we've just switched to Tim's
BSDtar
so it seems unlikely that we would swiitch again right now.
We have unfortunatly an embarrasment of riches when it comes to tar.
Too may good implementatiosn to choose from.. One would be good,
2 is going to make sure someone misses out. :-/

One good thing with Tim's implementation is the library. It allows us to
embed tar/cpio/pax capabilities directly into applications such as pkg_add.