Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 2003 19:15:27 +0000
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>, Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, Erick Mechler <emechler@techometer.net>, FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ECC memory error reporting

On Saturday 15 February 2003 18:13, Kent Stewart wrote:
> On Saturday 15 February 2003 07:11 am, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 04:53:54PM -0800, Wes Peters wrote:
> > >
> > > Or take the machine to Moab for the weekend, that's where a lot of
> > > the Cobalt-60 comes from.  It's a lovely place, and you come back
> > > with a nice tan whether the sun shines or not.
> >
> > Moab.. that reminds me of funny colored heaps of debris, with a fence
> > that had yellow warning signs on them. Could not read that from the
> > road, so stopped and use the telephoto lens to take a closer look.
> > Basically said something like "radioactive waste, don't stop, keep
> > driving'. Which I did..
> >
> > That the place you mean?
>
> That is the place but Wes probably drives by some similar heaps outside
> of SLC. Unless they have finished cleaning them up. The mines were
> around Moab but some of the processing was done outside of SLC.

There was a processing plant right in the middle of the Salt Lake
Valley, a company called "Vitro."  They left a huge tailings pile
in the middle of a residential area that has now been confined
under a lead blanket, sealed so it won't leak into the nearby
river, and a golf course built above it.

In the late 40s and early 50s they had a different way of disposing
of the tailings, which were full of low-level radioactive isotopes
with reportedly short half-lifes.  They sold the low-level tailings
to the two local brick companies who used them in cheap bricks they
sold to the local school districts.

Never ever underestimate how stupid your government can be.

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes@softweyr.com