Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 18:08:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Ivan <Ivan.Djelic@prism.uvsq.fr>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of swap handling and X lockups in 3.2R

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Wes Peters wrote:

> Chuck Robey wrote:
> >
> > What kind of resources are there that both cause loss of swap AND are
> > freed up by sleeping a process?
>
> Any of them being consumed by short-lived processes that will run to
> completion and exit while everyone else is sleeping.  This assumes such
> processes exist, of course.

OK, you wait until some process exits.  Ob course, if none do, then your
entire machine, all processes that ask for memory, wedge, instead of just
one.  You can't even start 'kill -9'.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)