Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:01:28 +0300
From:      "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@prime.net.ua>
To:        Steve Reid <sreid@alpha.sea-to-sky.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail, dialup connection, multiple users.

Generally U could masquearade urself as ur ISP's  MX's CNAME.
I beleave it could be better for U to contact ur ISP or sysadmin
and ask them what is ur e-mail domain part and again do masquearading.
Steve Reid wrote:

> This is related to the FAQ item: "8.19. How do I set up mail with a
> dialup connection to the 'net?"
>
> The FAQ details how to change the domain name on outgoing mail to match
> that of the ISP. But what do you do when there are multiple users on the
> system, who's email addresses have different domain names, and who's
> local user names don't match their user names in their email addresses?
>
> My hostname is "grok", the domain name I'm using is simply "nodomain".
> These are a couple of my users:
>
> Local user           Email address
> steve@grok.nodomain  sreid@sea-to-sky.net
> vern@grok.nodomain   figaro6@hotmail.com
>
> Each user can set the From: line in the mail headers just fine using
> most MUAs, but when the local sendmail tries to deliver the message it
> seems to be telling the remote MTA that our hostname is "grok.nodomain",
> and many sites (including freebsd.org) refuse to accept mail from us
> because "grok.nodomain" is bogus.
>
> Is it sufficient to set sendmail's idea of the domain to some other
> random domain name that does exist (like "hotmail.com"), and depend on
> the From: line in the mail to get return mail going where it's supposed
> to? If I were to do that, would error messages relating to
> "steve@grok.nodomain" end up going to "steve@hotmail.com" instead of
> "sreid@sea-to-sky.net"?? Is there anything else I can do???
>
> Also, the FAQ refers to M4-processable configuration files in
> /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf. It says that if you have the CDROM you
> can get those files by installing the /cdrom/dists/src/ssmailcf.aa
> distfile. Where do you get those files if you don't have a recent CD?  I
> checked ftp.freebsd.org in the 3.2-RELEASE/src directory but could not
> find any ssmailcf.aa distfile.

WBW  Andy V. Oleynik            (When U work in virtual office
prime.net.ua's                   U have good chance to obtain
system administrator             virtual money ö%-)
+380442448363