Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:03:17 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        "Long, Scott" <Scott_Long@adaptec.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade from 4.6-STABLE (July) to 4.7-STABLE loses SCSI card?

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 03:07:23PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Scott Long wrote:

> > > First thing I thought of, and yes, it was recognized ... the controller is
> > > an adaptec 39160, dual channel, if that helps any?
> > >

> > Can you do a dmesg and pciconf on it with a 4.6 kernel and send it?
>
> Would love to, but I oops'd and overwrote it when I tried to go to the
> GENERIC config ...
>
> But, looking in /sys/dev/aic7xxxx, I dont' see the card listed, unless I'm
> looking in the wrong place?  I see the 39320 and 29320, but no 39160 ... ?
> Was it removed?

The PCI ID parsing in the driver has a pattern matching algorithm that will
catch the card if there is no explicit entry for it.  Thus, it'll most
likely be handled here:

        {
                ID_AIC7899 & ID_9005_GENERIC_MASK,
                ID_9005_GENERIC_MASK,
                "Adaptec aic7899 Ultra160 SCSI adapter",
                ahc_aic7899_setup
        },

This hasn't changed since 4.6 and isn't the problem.  The pciconf and
dmesg that you posted show that the PCI ID's for your 39160 aren't even
getting probed by the OS.  I imagine that this card is the only card
consuming a PCI slot, with everything else being on the motherboard, yes?
If so, there could be a problem where the PCI bridge that controls the
slots isn't being probed correctly.  That's why it would be nice to see
the dmsg/pciconf from 4.6.

Scott