Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 17:28:58 -0600
From:      jlemon@americantv.com (Jonathan Lemon)
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hawke@hawkewerks.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as an ISDN Router

Terry Lambert writes:
> > "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> > > Unfortunately, the Motorola Bitsurfer is a festering piece-o-shit(tm)
> > > and you'd do very well to stay away from it or anything else from
> > > Motorola's communications products division.  Cisco has also been
> > > doing quite a bit of testing with their stuff, and the unanimous
> > > decision seems to be "buy a modem or TA from Moto and you will lose."
> >
> > That's not quite fair.  I have no opinion on the ISDN stuff, having never
> > used it, but the Motorola Power modems are pretty good.  Now, if you want
> > to sling mud at modems, probably nothing is more deserving of the
> > "piece-o-shit" label than the USR's Sportster line.
>
> The Sportster 14.4 FAXmodem (I believe) is theonly one affected, and
> it's only a problem if you talk to Rockwell chipset modems on the
> other end.

The 28.8k, 33.6k, and PCMCIA modems also have problems.  And while USR now
has fixes for most of them, the companay also spent an inordinate amount of
time denying that there was a problem in the first place.  (Go visit
comp.dcom.modems for any length of time).

Most of the Motorola modems are also flash-upgradable, and Motorola has
made firmware upgrades available pretty quickly in the past. (cf: firmware
upgrades for Power series)

Not that this has anything to do with the Bitsurfer, so I'll shut up now.
--
Jonathan