Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:33:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.6.2-p2/4.7-RC tape drive/sa - driver problems

Hello.

I have serious trouble with two HP DAT drives (both DAT 40 drives,
one single tape drive, one 6-slot autoloader SureStore 40x6i).

Both trouble making systems are SMP machine (two Intel PIII/866 CPUs)
with SymbiosLogic SCSI controler.

Both tape drives have the following parameters:

Physical blocksize: 	1024
EOT model:	    	1 file mark
Compression:		DCLZ

As backup software I use afbackup 3.3.7pl2.

Since we moved from FreeBSD 4.6 to 4.6.2-p2 or towards FreeBSD 4.7-RC,
FreeBSD and afbackup seem to fall into serious trouble.

First the system with the autoloader:

At the end of a tape, tape changes couldn't be performed anymore
and the kernel log is full of this message:

(sa0:sym1:0:5:0): Invalid request.  Fixed block device requests must be a multiple of 1024 bytes
(sa0:sym1:0:5:0): tape is now frozen- use an OFFLINE, REWIND or MTEOM command to clear this state.

The loader displays shows a status of: Semi Loaded - then Loading - Then Semi Loaded ...

And I get error messages on the console from afbackup that it expects tape 2 but have tape 1.

After doing this pseudochanging the cassette a whole night, at the end, when doing a ktrace -p PID
the autoloader status display showed up this: EOTMark not found.

The switches of the Autoloader and of the single tape drive are switched to the recommended PC-style
config. When power off and power on an 'mt status' displays a block size of 1024, like this:

root: /root: mt status
Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x26:DDS-4           1024 bytes     97000    DCLZ
---------available modes---------
0:        0x26:DDS-4           1024 bytes     97000    DCLZ
1:        0x26:DDS-4           1024 bytes     97000    DCLZ
2:        0x26:DDS-4           1024 bytes     97000    DCLZ
3:        0x26:DDS-4           1024 bytes     97000    DCLZ
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.
---------------------------------
File Number: 0  Record Number: 0        Residual Count 0

The same on the single tape drive.

FreeBSd 4.6-RELEASE and afbackup 3.3.7 did not show up this problem. I do not know whether these
problems are hardware or software related, but watching that massive kernel low level errors
suspects me the kernel and/or sa driver.

Does anyone has a glue how to fix this? What blocksize should I switch the tape drives to? Any
ideas?

I feel really confused about this. At this moment the last inserted tape is stuck in the
autoloader and could be only freed by pressing 5 seconds the eject button for emergency eject.
No 'mt rewoffl' works ...

Any email appreciated ...
Thansk in advance,
Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)