Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:34:16 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Jeff Gray <jwg2@adsl-63-201-55-220.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: df -  du leakage

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Jeff Gray wrote:

> The difference in result is fine, but the difference is growing.

As has probably been suggested by now, this is due to a rotated logfile
that some process still has open, but is no longer referenced from the
directory tree. Killing the process will (should, anyway) release the
extra resources.

How, then, do you find which process has this open file? My favourite
utility for this is lsof; although fstat may find what you're after:

	fstat | awk 'NR==1||$5=="/var"'

(assuming /var is a separate partition)

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
On modesty: whoever said "it's hard being perfect" obviously wasn't me.