Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:57:00 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        Iain Templeton <iain@research.canon.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Target mode on aic7880 controllers

>However if I try and do a rescan of that bus, the target mode controller
>does not respond to an inquiry command.

Can you be more specific?  Do you see a selection timeout or something
else on the other controller?  If you boot verbose, the initiator should
tell you about selection timeouts.

>It appears also that the CAM
>system doesn't even get a message from ahc1 that such a command is sent.
>In fact, I put a few extra printf's in aic7xxx.c and got nothing out of
>them at all (inside the ahc_seqint() function looking for
>HOST_MSG_LOOP).

You won't necessarily see a HOST_MSG_LOOP.  That will only occur
during transfer rate negotations.

>I cannot use camcontrol to send CCB's to the target device either since
>there is no pass through driver allocated for the device.

It doesn't make sense to send CCBs to a target device unless you
are responding to an ATIO.  There is an example in the tree that shows
how to do this.

>So what I'd like to know is:
>
>1. Is target mode even known to work on aic7880's or aic7891's?

I have not tested the aic7880 recently.  The 7890/91 and above did
work the last I tried.

>2. Is there any particular controller that target mode is known to work
>well on. I know there are a few qlogic's that it is said to work on, but
>for political reasons I can't buy one of them (or anything else for that
>matter) right now. Plus, if we use SCSI for what I'm doing it will
>probably be a motherboard controller, and I don't know if there are many
>mb's with non-adaptec controllers.
>
>I have tried the same thing using an aic7891 as both the target and
>initiator and that didn't seem to work either.

Hmm.  What version of FreeBSD are you running?  I will try to
reproduce this sometime this weekend.

>In between the time that I turn target mode on and it gets turned back
>off again I have run camcontrol rescan on the other machine, and it
>doesn't make any difference.

Do you have the processor target device in your kernel?  That is what
the target mode sample driver emulates.

--
Justin