Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 2010 01:43:46 +0300
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        Scott Schappell <archon@silvertree.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem upgrading ports - libintl.so.8 not found

always read UPDATING
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Scott Schappell <archon@silvertree.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade ports and they keep choking. In particular gpg is one of them:
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libintl.so.8" not found, required by "libgcrypt.so.16"
> What do I need to do to fix this problem?

20100530:
  AFFECTS: users of devel/gettext (i.e.: YOU)
  AUTHOR: ade@FreeBSD.org

  Another version of gettext (0.18), and another shared library version
  bump (from intl.8 to intl.9), so:

  All ports that have an identifiable known direct dependency on gettext
  have had their PORTREVISIONs bumped.  If after upgrading:

    # portupgrade -rf gettext
    # portmaster -w -r gettext

  The upgrade of devel/gobject-introspection may fail because it is looking
  for libintl.so.8.  In this case, do the following:

    # cd /usr/ports/devel/gobject-introspection
    # make clean
    # make deinstall
    # make install clean

  Then continue your upgrade procedure normally.

  If there are still ports on your system that are looking for libintl.so.8
  (either in ${LOCALBASE}/lib/compat/pkg, or non-existent), _please_ file
  a PR so that a correct direct dependency can be added.

  Once you are satisfied that no ports still depend on the old versions (such
  as libgettextpo.so.4 and libintl.so.8) you can safely delete them from the
  ${LOCALBASE}/lib/compat/pkg directory if they are present there.

--
Eitan Adler