Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 1998 11:06:28 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Paul Dekkers <P.Dekkers@gromit.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   replace linux by freebsd?

Hi

My current Linux server with a 2.0.34 kernel with masquerading and RedHat
4.1 and dhcpd 2.0b6 keeps crashing after at about 1 day. I really don't
know why (I just changed power supply after a crash, the distribution
(because of the filesystem crash caused by the power crash), network card
(because it was broken), and dhcpd (instead of bootpd, I want to support
dhcp)...)

My idea was to try FreeBSD. I have good experiences with FreeBSD as a
normal server, but not as a router, which this server actually does, and
not just routing, also masquerading. I believe that's the best part of the
Linux kernel when I compare it with FreeBSD's. I tried natd once on my
home machine, and found out that it was very processor eating, and didn't
work that fast and that good as masquerading, but I have no further
experience with it.

Next problem, and that's the main reason I'm writing this list for, are
the networkcards. Here's a list of cards in the machine:
Device	Type	Bus	Interrupt	IO
eth0	3c509	ISA	11		0x320
eth1	ne2000	PCI	12		0x6200
eth2	ne2000	ISA	7		0x300
eth3	ne2000	PCI	9		0x6000	(recently replaced)
eth4	ne2000	PCI	10		0x6100
eth5	ne2000	ISA	5		0x340

Is this at all possible under FreeBSD? And with my current CD-set, 2.2.1,
can I still use all of these cards, and route between them, and do natd
for all of the networks via eth0 (for about 50 clients max at a time I
think)...

By the way, the machine is a pentium-60, with 16 Mb's of memory (It was
running fine for a year of two with slackware 3.1, and bootpd, but since
the network card went defect, the problems kept coming... and never went
away... (can there be some hardware failure?))

Thank you for any help,
Paul