Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:40:36 +0200
From:      Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS trouble

--nextPart26796955.qEen7xcciQ

Hello,

I'm seeing a lot of processes getting stuck in "nfsfsync" state lately.=20
I'm running FreeBSD 5.3-BETA7, and I've seen this with both the i386 and=20
the amd64 version.

As NFS server I'm using a FreeBSD 4.10 machine and an up to date gentoo=20
box (running Linux 2.4.25_pre7-gss-r11).

I've mounted the NFS exports with a simple nfs_mount=20
uno:/var/www/localhost www as well as with some options that should make=20
nfs more robust:
  mount_nfs -D 2 -L -R 2 -i -s -x 3 uno:/var/www/localhost www

In all cases, the process has started hanging when writing to the exported=
=20
NFS share. This could be a text editor (kate), or cp. Subsequent access=20
(eg, with ls) to the directory where the first process tried to write to=20
will make the second process hang in state "nfs".

Nothing gets logged on the server, the client logs this repeatedly:
  nfs server uno:/var/www/localhost: not responding

=46orcibly unmounting the share works and seems to unfreeze the frozen=20
applications.

This behaviour is new. I cannot say when exactly I've first seen this, but=
=20
I think it must have appeared somewhere between BETA5 and BETA7.

What can I do to make NFS work more reliably again?

Benjamin