Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:19:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Walter C. Pelissero" <walter@pelissero.org>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SVR4 missing syscall

Dan Nelson writes:
 > In the last episode (Nov 20), Walter C. Pelissero said:
 > > I'm trying to run a SCO SVR4 executable on FreeBSD but I get a SIGSYS
 > > (invalid system call) at the very beginning.  Here is the kdump:
 > >
 > > Which call is it about?  I see an "old.lstat" but I couldn't find any
 > > reference in the kernel source tree.  Is there any doc I could read
 > > to see if I can hack this syscall in the emulator?
 >
 > old.lstat is syscall #40, which is the ibcs2_xenix syscall on SCO.

May I ask you where you got this information from?  I was grep-ing
around in the kernel source tree but I couldn't figure out that this
old.lstat is syscall #40, let alone that it was a Xenix syscall.

Is there any doc that can help me hacking this syscall into the ibcs2
emulator?

 > You can add hooks from the svr4 emulation code back to the ibcs2
 > code, but the svr4 module was really written for Solaris x86
 > instead of SCO. You'll have to make a lot of changes to get SCO
 > binaries to run under it.  I tried to get an SCO SVR4 binary to
 > work about 6 months ago but gave up and simply got the vendor to
 > send me a Linux binary instead. Runs fine under the Linuxulator :)

Are you telling me that the IBCS emulator is not really working?
Unfortunately I can't ask for a Linux version.
Have you ever had a look at the NetBSD one?  Is it usable?

Thanks for your help.

--
walter pelissero
http://www.pelissero.org