Date:      Sun, 02 Jun 2002 06:11:56 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        David LeCount <kenshi@linuxorbit.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel errors

David LeCount wrote:

 > For the past few months, I've been having a bit of a problem
 > compiling  kernels and haven't been able to figure out what the
 > hell is going on.  make buildkernel doesn't seem to give any
 > errors (I don't know why), but  the conventional method gives
 > about 2 pages of errors. It errors while  compiling the Linux
 > module. Here is the first few lines of the errors:
 >
 > ===> linux cc -O -pipe   -D_KERNEL -Wall -Wredundant-decls
 > -Wnested-externs  -Wstrict-protot ypes  -Wmissing-prototypes
 > -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual   -fformat-extens ions -ansi
 >  -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I-  -I. -I@ -I@/../include   -mpreferred-stack
 >

 > -boundary=2 -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs
-Wstrict-prototypes
 >   -Wmiss ing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual
 > -fformat-extensions  -ansi - c linux_sysent.c In file included
 > from linux_sysent.c:14: linux_proto.h:57: syntax error before
 > `linux_time_t' linux_proto.h:57: `linux_time_t' undeclared here
 > (not in a function)
 >
 > It continues with similar messages and the typical "Stop in ..."
messages.
 >  I'll attach my config file since that's likely where the  problem
 >  is. Thanks.

If it was a config problem, you would have had a problem doing a "make
buildkernel KERNCONF=KENSHI". It sounds more like a config or make
depend problem.

I tried it both ways on 2 of my systems and didn't have any problems.
Neither of the systems had the COMPAT_LINUX option and so I built one
with it and one without. I didn't have any problems doing the
following on either system

cd /sys/i386/conf
config CORAL
cd /sys/compile/CORAL