Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 01:04:48 +0000
From:      Gustavo V G C Rios <kernel@tdnet.com.br>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: limiting buffer cache

David Greenman wrote:

> >Does anybody here knows how to limit the size of my FS buffer cache ?
> >I have already looked over LINT config file, but it seems not to have
> >any option!
> >I have ever send this message to questions, but nobody there seems to
> >care/know.
> >
> >I would really appreciate your help.
>
>    There really isn't a 'buffer cache' in FreeBSD. About 5 years ago FreeBSD
> was changed so that buffers weren't used to cache filesystem data - instead
> they are used as a mechanism to map cached pages from the VM system into
> the kernel address space. All file caching now occurs in the VM system and
> is completely dynamic in size, and varies with other activity in the system.
>
> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
> Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
> Pave the road of life with opportunities.

So, that is it!
When my users try to copy very big directories the system simply prevent
anyone else from spawwing any other process, return the followind:
swapper: out of memory!

Are you telling me that there is no way to prevent my users from eating
all my memory ?

PS: I am already controlling system resource, using /etc/login.conf.

--
If you're happy, you're successful.