Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 19:20:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vinay Bannai <bannai@best.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        bannai@best.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Probing a PCI device!!

According to Mike Smith:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I am trying to probe a PCI device and I am in the odd situation where the
> > firmware has to be downloaded onto the card before I can check the
> > Vendor/Device ID. It is set by the firmware..
> >
> > How do I solve the chicken and egg problem? Or am I missing something?
>
> It's possible that the card is using a generic PCI bridge chip - have a
> look at the card and see.  If this is the case, you could try matching
> against the interface vendor/model rather than the device set if the
> device set is invalid.
>
> Do the device IDs default to anything sensible?

Oops!! Just found that the bootstrap routine on the card sets the
configuration registers. This happens as soon as the system is switched
on. After this I download the firwmare. Sorry about that!! Should have
checked the specs more clearly before posting.

Thanks
Vinay
--
Vinay Bannai                     E-mail: bannai@best.com